»

Thursday, September 11, 2008

My Memories of September 11th 2001

God Bless all those who lost their lives on that day, God bless their families. It was a Tuesday. For a few months at my work, I always had Tuesdays off. Thank goodness for that. I always slept in on my days off. It was about 9:15 a.m. when I was awoke by my ringing phone. It was my mother. She asked in a shaky voice, "Carrie, are you watching t.v.?" I said no, that I was still asleep. She told me that I needed to turn the t.v. on right now, I remember her words perfectly. "We are being attacked." Panic and disbelief filled my mind. As I watched I could barley comprehend what I was seeing. Terror, disgust, anger...RAGE. Sadness.
Like all Americans, I was absolutely glued to the t.v. There was no escaping it for days. I could not think of anything else. For days I could not sleep, I could not eat, I could not concentrate on anything. I remember it being at least a month from the time of the attacks thinking to myself when am I going to feel normal again? I was frightened every time, for a long, long time when I saw a plane in the sky, particularly low flying ones. What an assault on our sense of security this was! I would find the tallest building I could -and think to myself, The towers were ten times as tall.(probly more) And people were jumping.
That summer, I had faithfully kept my humming bird feeder full. Waiting and watching for a bird to come along. All summer long, I never saw one. But, I made sure it was always full and fresh anyway. On September 11th 2001, I saw the first and only humming bird for that year. I sprang up as fast as I could, and thru my window I was able to snap two pictures. Every time I come across these pictures I smile. The bird was my symbol of hope for the future. Notice what my view looked like from my backyard. It was all field and openness behind and to the side of me. Oh, how times have changed since then. One thing remains the same, I am still proud of my country. I don't think the feeling of "normal" ever returned for most Americans. This was our new normal. We learned a valuable lesson. Do not take things for granted, you never know what tomorrow will bring.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Yes, its a strange feeling that I feel when I think of 9-11. Its actually eerie and I dislike thinking about it. However, on the flip side. I have this greater love, respect and gratitude for the freedom of our country. We all came together...very united, it really was amazing. The planes always fly over our house when they are waiting to land or are delayed in their landings. They regularly fly low and it FREAKS me out to this day. You probably notice it too becuase you are just miles north of us. I just pray nothing like that ever happens again.