»

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Craft-a-Roo

A few weeks ago I made these paper mache letters for my kids' bedroom doors. You may remember the JOY letters I made at Christmas time. They inspired me for this project. On my kids' bedroom doors they used to have these deflated mylar balloons from when they were born. An "It's a boy!" one and an "It's a girl!" one respectively. I never planned on them staying on there for 2 years! Maybe a few weeks. So it was good to get these done. Much cuter, and age appropriate :)

For Dylan...

For Madelyn!

Would you like to make some too? Here's how I did it.(As taught to me by my sister Lindy when we did our JOY's.)


First you paint your letters. They are going to be covered in cute paper of your liking. But paint them a coordinating color because the sides will show. With my JOY ones, we did not paint them. The cardboard look/color is cute too. Just depends on the desired outcome.

Then you are going to trace and cut the paper to fit your letter. Remember to trace on the paper w/ the paper upside down so that it will match up. Since the letters are not perfectly symmetrical, even when doing an "O" or an "M". The paper I chose is double sided. So, this picture shows a pattern on the side being traced. This trace and cut will actually be for the blue polka dot part. I hope this makes sense. I did not know how to explain. Often times you will have to trim a little here and there to get a good fit after you have initially cut it out.

So, after you have your paper cut out and trimmed to fit, you are going to glue it on. MOD PODGE is wonderful for this. Just use a small foam brush and get the glue all over the back.

This part is optional. I like to antique the edges (and even the surface a bit). Either using antiquing gel or a stamp pad. Just use a sponge and dab and streak it on. I used the stamp pad this time. I used the gel in the past. With the gel, just remember to wipe off the excess and it will look great.

Then, MOD PODGE over the ENTIRE letter. Front, back, sides. I like the glossy as opposed to matte. I did not have any on hand. So, I took an extra step after I MOD PODGED all over and coated it with a lovely shiny glossy varnish. That step is NOT necessary if you have glossy MOD PODGE :) Note to self: plan ahead. Note to self: good that you used the glossy varnish you already had on hand. Lol! MOD PODGE goes on white and dries CLEAR. Love that stuff.

This is the fun part. Gather any ribbon, buttons, glitter, jewels, charms, flowers, brads, eyelets, etc.! That you have. Embellish away! I should have taken the picture later. This is the stuff I started with. I had three times as much stuff pulled out by the time I was done!
What a mess maker I am.

Viola! Finished projects. I embellished a little on the light side. I think I like things a bit simpler. You can go crazy with it and it will still look SO cute! I took these pictures weeks ago, Maddie's actually got some more bling added. I put tiny red jewels in the center of the flowers where there is a red dot. And I added three jewels going down the right side of the top of the "M". Fun and easy! I then attached them to their doors using the 3M Command adhesive strips for hanging pictures and crafts. Oh my! I LOVE these things!! You know how Oprah has her "favorite things?" These are among the top of my favorite things list! No holes in your walls! Comes off clean and holds tight. Wonderful! I should work for them or do a commercial. Haha!

13 comments:

LacyAsher#1 said...

Those are so cute!!! How are you hanging them on the doors? I love that idea! I have seen them before, but I didn't realize how easy they really are to make.

Tory Miller said...

They are so so so so so cute! I want to make on for Kyri! We should have a girls day and make them together and share supplies!! O, p.s. I am having a Sentsy party on the 28th. So mark your calendar early. It's just going to be an open house from like 11 am to 2 or something like that. Hope you can make it. I will send out invites when I get a chance. Just thought I would tell you early. Anyone is invited. So anyone who reads this comment and wants to come just leave a comment on my blog and I'll send you an invite.

RaCeNMoMmY said...

i'm so gonna make some. i actually bought a "M" to make for my living room but was unsure how i wanted to do it. thanks for the instructions=] i'm totally doing them for my kids too!!

Darcie said...

Those are so dang cute. That would be a very good enrichment activity for moms. Thanks for sharing.

Jenny and Mark said...

How cute. I didn't know you were so crafty. You know, we always are looking for crafty people for enrichment nights....now we know another place to come!

Anonymous said...

Love them- I need some fillers for Averys shelve in her room. Yours turned out so darling. Also love the new music perfect for the season. I think it is supposed to be pretty warm next week so a trip to the park for sure :)

steph said...

Those are so dang cute. I am going to have to make some for the girls rooms.

Tory Miller said...

Oh Carrie, it is totally alright that you did not make it to the party last week and it is also totally alright that you cannot make the Sentsy thing. I'm sure that you can order like that. I will talk to my cousin. She's the demonstrator. But i'm sure that will be fine.

Matt N Camie Family said...

LOVE IT!!! I wish my kids were still little and would enjoy something like that! Maybe I can do a more Teenage themed one for Brittany! Thanks for sharing!!

Shanna said...

They turned put WAY cute!

ledkinsfam said...

Those are darling! I've seen them around but didn't realize it was such a simple process. I may just have to give it a try!!!!

Kristine said...

Those are darling!! I think Brooklyn needs one, are you for hire?!?:)

Tiffany said...

You are so talented! I love looking at your blog! You always have something fun. I'm not crafty, but I just might have to make one of those. :)