»

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

What's YOUR favorite Christmas decoration?

Here's what you are supposed to do, Take a picture of your favorite Christmas decoration and then tell why. It could be that big Nativity in your yard or just a single beautiful ornament. Whatever it is, I want to hear about it :) Include any fun traditions or anything else that you want. Don't forget to tag your friends.
To get things started, here is mine. A few years back my sister Julie gave all her siblings these clothespin ornaments for Christmas. They are very special to us because they are replicas of the ones my Mom made when we were little. We played with them and loved them so much, I do not think they survived all 7 of us. I have not seen the originals lately :0
That first year she gave us the Nativity. Then, one year she gave us a Santa and then a snowman one. All just like the ones from when we were kids. The last one she gave us was a Hawaiian girl. She gave us that one when my Mom and Dad and little brother lived in Hawaii. She has taken a few years off, but there are plenty more replicas to be made. The soldier one. The clown one. Mrs. Clause. Hint, hint Julie. Lol!

They are made using those old fashioned style clothespins. You cut out tiny wooden arms and dress them in felt or whatever. Julie made many sets of these and I can see why she has not made any for a few years. They were all done by hand of course, with no pattern.

Joseph, Shepherd, Angel, One of three Wise men, Hawaiian girl.
Looks like I forgot a pic of the snowman, but you get the idea.

So, usually I string a garland up to the window and that's where I display my favorite little clothespin ornaments. This year they are on this little 2' tree on my dining table.
Want to know what's sad? That little tree is the only tree in the house. I feel sad to say that I had no trust in my kids. I decided not to put up our big tree this year thinking I would save myself the trouble of keeping my kids away from it. We have been to relatives and neighbors houses and my kids have not bothered their trees. Serves me right for not having any faith in them. Shame on mama!
This is me and some of my sisters at my mom's house last night making a fun Christmas craft. I was out until one in the morning making this sucker. My sister Lindy came up with the design. She got all the supplies and then we assembled our own.
I am going to say this is running a second on my favorite Christmas decoration list. Good times spent with mom and sisters! Ta-Da.
I tag: Lacy, Christina, Tiffany, Lisa, Erin, and anyone else who would like to. Just cause I did not mention your name specifically does not mean I don't want to hear from you! I just think some people don't like being tagged. If you don't mind it, consider yourself tagged! :) Leave me a comment and let me know when or if you have posted.

10 comments:

Christina said...

Those clothespins are adorable! I wish I were creative and talented that way. Thanks for tagging me - this was a fun one!

Darcie said...

The clothes pins are cute. The "joy" is very cute too. I will not be posting my red-neck decorations, maybe someday when I get some new stuff :-)

Carrie said...

Your red neck decorations...you silly! I need some new ones too. I have like, oh, I don't know, maybe 6 or 7 30 gal. totes with decorations. Of which, I only put up maybe one tote this year. A lot of mine are just kind of "red neck" too! haha.

JaNae said...

I would tell you my favorite Christmas decoration but um.....I have yet to drag them out yet. Plus I gave most them to TaNeal in my de-cluttering/yard sale stuff.... I'll keep you posted.

Yours are really cute though :)

Thanks for including Travis on our Christmas card, it made his day. You are a sweetheart Carrie and I really appreciate your thoughtfulness :)

Carrie said...

Umm, my calculation was slightly off. Did I say 30 gallon? I meant 18 gallon. 30 would be HUGE! I was cleaning up that mess of my kids out grown summer clothes in my storage room, (Mindy you saw that, how embarrassing! I PROMISE it is usually clean!) And the totes are 18 gal, just like my Christmas ones. Hello! I need to really do more de cluttering or a yard sale...hey I bet I could easily make another $250! (I don't need that much Christmas stuff, or out grown kids clothes.) Of which I still have not spent it all from last time, little by little when I run into things I want! haha. $250, that's how much I made on my yard sale last summer! Yay! This is random, but hey, that's me, random.

Jamie said...

What a cute tag! And way cute decorations too. I love Christmas decorations, they are by far my favorite. Also, I love your post about Dylan and I read the post from his birth mom's grandma and was so touched by that too. What a cutie he is and so lucky to have you for a mom. What a beautiful and amazing family you all are. Jamie

Darcie said...

Okay maybe we all have a few red-neck decorations. I wasn't trying to sound like a snot. I love Christmas and all my decorations because they all have a special story of where, when and who I got them from. I will maybe post this weekend when I have a sec, ha ha.

Shanna said...

Cute decorations I love your Joy blocks way cute!

Lisa said...

I love the cute clothespin ornaments. We should start that here.
I am not ignoring your tag, I am just lame and can't pick an ornament, or keep my front room picked up enough to get a decent picture... ;).
You are such a sweetie!

Tiffany said...

I finally posted an ornament pic on my blog. I really need to learn how to use a camera! Anyway, your clothespin ornaments are adorable and so is your "JOY" sign. What a fun family activity!