One Year ago today we were sealed together as a family. I wrote in an earlier post about "adoption day". While it was truly a great day, (and one I plan to celebrate with the kids by our annual ice cream date,) it is among a few great days in my life.
The day I "found out" about my children are among the top ten.
The day they were each born has got to be in the top five, along with the days that they came home from the hospital. But the one that has got to top the list for me is the day we were sealed as a family. Preston and I were married in the Temple, but since our kids are adopted, they were not born under the covenant. I have said so many times that I really wish all children had the opportunity to go to the Temple with their parents to be sealed. (Although, I like to imagine I was there when my parents were sealed. And, one day it is a memory that I will be able to recall...) It is such a special thing! Words can not describe. It was a day I had dreamt about long before they were physically on this earth! Isn't that funny? It was such an anticipated event for me. It was a beautiful day. On August 3rd 2007 my dream for an eternal family came true. After many dark days filled with doubt, it had happened! The Lord had remembered me, I feel guilty for ever doubting.
My eyes fill with tears thinking about that day. When my babies came into the room all dressed in white- it was the most beautiful sight my eyes have ever beheld! They were so angelic looking. I am not even kidding, they had a little glow about them. Just beautiful. Dylan had the most precious look on his face. He was 8 months old, yet he had an ora of understanding about him. I honestly think he knew what was taking place. I really believe Dylan and Madelyn were feeling the spirit just as we were and all the glorious peace that comes along with it. Dylan's eyes were absolutely fixed on Preston and I thru the whole thing, I just loose it when ever I think of that face. He is a happy kid anyway, but the smile that was on that kids face was unreal. Maddie was just twinkling. She was so calm and attentive. She had been going thru a bit of a fussy spell, yet in the moment of it all, she was perfect and so happy. When it was over and we were getting hugs and greetings from our guests, Dylan wanted to be the little social guy that he is, but Madelyn clung to me like never before. She wanted to give me big long hugs, and I relished every moment of it. She's my precious girl.

My dad gave me this poem after leaving the Temple that day. He wrote it. I have NEVER known my dad to write a poem...ever. It is really a special thing to me. He gave it to me with a letter he had written about how the poem came to be. He had a dream on the morning of our sealing. In the dream he was riding on a train, and the poem popped in to his head. He was thru the first four stanzas in his mind before waking up and getting up to write it down. I am glad that he did get up to write it down, so that I could have it.

Dylan and Madelyn
came from above
Dylan and Madelyn
brought us much love
The faith of their parents
of family and friends
Our Savior does love us
On that you can depend
Your special day
Brought us such joy
Two beautiful babies
To love ever more
A family together
For eternities beyond
A family together
Love is our bond
Dylan and Maddy
So much love just for you
Two precious babies
Be faithful and true
We are ever so thankful
For the love of each one
The angles are with you
the battle is won
Remember we love you
we will always know why
God smiled on us today
Our tears can not hide
Grandpa Train
August 3rd 2007
"Grandpa Train" is a name my nieces and nephews have called my parents to distinguish between their other grandparents. My parents used to live in front of railroad tracks, and all the kids would love to watch the trains go by. It's just sorta funny that my dad was riding on a train in his dream when this poem came to be. This poem is very special to me. It is a wonderful little souvenir of that day.

A few days after they were sealed to us, we were able to bless the babies. On August 5th 2007. That too is high on the list of best days of my life. We were surrounded by so many family and friends. Preston was so nervous and excited at the same time to be able to bless his children. I know it was something he had dreamt of for a long time too. He did such a great job, and I was so proud of him!
8 comments:
That was so sweet!! Your post made me cry. You have such a cute family.
What special moments for your adorable little family. Thanks for sharing a bit of it with all of us. Thank goodness for eternal families and the gospel. What a blessing they truly are. By the way, I LOVE all of your pictures! That one of Dylan with the temple in the background is sooo cute.
Carrie,
Thanks for sharing all that and the pictures. I have always loved the temple picture and have always felt bad that we missed that day. What an eventful year you had, you probably won't have another one like that. I love your dad's poem. It is so thoughtful. It really is cute to see how the kids have grown in one year.
Carrie,
That was such a beautiful post. As you know I am not Mormon, but that post made me cry like a baby. To know what a special moment that was for you and how happy it made you is just awesome. I am so happy for you and Preston.
What a sweet post and what sweet memories for you to carry with you. Your little family is so choice and I am so grateful for you and Preston. Please give Dylan an extra hug and kiss from this Nana today!
I am wiping away tears right now. I'm so happy for you guys and your two darling kids. I've never been to a sealing, but your description makes it sound like the most wonderful thing in the world.
I cannot think of anything more special than being sealed for eternity. It is such a wonderful blessing! Your babies are so beautiful. You are such a beautiful family and it is clear just how happy you all are!
i'm reading some of your older posts.
what a beautiful day! i've been to a couple family sealings, it is the most wonderful thing to watch & be a part of, especially as the kids come into the room=) to me it was the same incredible spirt you feel when the prophet walks in the room! congrats on your beautiful eternal family.
Post a Comment