»

Friday, January 30, 2009

My day with my Mom. Broken things mended.

So, first of all, my Mom is in trouble. I have pretty much no pictures of her because she is a stinker about getting her picture taken. These will have to do for today. Yesterday I had the opportunity to spend the whole day with my Mom. I was there from about 8:30 am until 6 pm. Just me and her. My husband had the day off, so he had the kiddos. My dad was at work. He is retired, but works part time for Subway as an inspector. He goes around to many stores and makes sure they are clean and in tip top shape. (which many are not, sadly) When they lived in Hawaii he traveled to Japan and other places to inspect mess halls for the Army. He was highly respected and loved the work. I know he misses it and Hawaii so much. Well, it seems as though I have gotten off track here. My Mom had surgery on her ankle about a week ago. This is yet another attempt to fix an injury she had when she was 16. Some 38 years ago. This time, we have high hopes! :) This is a pic of My little bro Andy, my Mom and Dad in Hawaii.
Even tho they were locals they look like tourists! :)

Me and Mom when I was maybe three or four?(maybe two, who knows?) Not the best of pics, but I really can't find any! See, I WAS a natural blond at one time...

When my Mom was 16, she was riding her horse one day.
He was on a bit of a ledge and it was muddy.
Her horse slipped and threw her off.
She broke her ankle so badly that her bone was jutting out of her leather boot. The doctors back then did not do a great job fixing it up. She was in a cast for 8 months. (up to her hip if I remember right?) When it came off, her ankle was never the same. She walked with a slight limp for a while and as time wore on, it got a little worse. She was in pain much of the time. Bone grinding on bone and just the foot not setting right on her leg. Anyway, to make a LONG story short, (too late?) she met a doctor a while back that was confident he could help her. He did surgery last Thursday and made a wedge in her foot to stop the bone grinding. I am not sure if I fully understand what else went into the surgery. But, she was in the hospital for four days after because it was extremely painful! She can't put any pressure of any sort on that foot for at least three months. But, in the end, it's all going to be worth it I think! You see, my Dad is a HUGE traveler, he LOVES IT! I think he wants to get her all better and feeling like that ankle can now do some miles so he can go around the world with her. My dad has been so cute about this surgery. He has taken care of her so well. Too well my Mom says. He loves to baby her and always has. It is really a beautiful love that my parents share. I am so glad that I grew up with the example of love that they showed, and continue to show.
It was a great day spent with my Mom. I just needed to be there to help her to the bathroom, make her lunch and stuff, but I loved being able to serve her. We talked most of the day. We laughed and cried and it was great. Thanks so much to my great husband who cared for our children while I was away! I love you so much. I love my parents with all my heart and hope they get to do all the traveling their little hearts desire.
After the seven of us kids, they deserve it! Here's to a sucessful surgery.

8 comments:

Tory Miller said...

Your mom is such a sweetheart! I hope she recovers fast and is able to travel with your dad!! I'm glad you got to have a good day with her!

Darcie said...

How great that you got to spend the day with her, I am sure a day to remember. I have been hoping that she is doing well. Jeremy feels bad that he hasn't been able to come down and see her.

Christina said...

What a good daughter you are! I am sure your mom was very appreciative and loved the day as much as you did! I wish her a speedy and successful recovery :o)

Though its hard for we moms to accept some times, we do appreciate being taken care of by our kids. Its kind of a role reversal thing - that's what makes it hard for us but I can tell you that when Holly or Kaitlyn cleans the house for me, I am soooooooooo appreciative and grateful for sweet daughters who think more of others and less of themselves.

JaNae said...

I hope your Mom makes a perfect recovery.
I never knew your Dad did health inspections...no wonder he is so cool ;) Does he work for Hunter Management? I'm sure I visit some of the same stores he does.

RaCeNMoMmY said...

sounds like you have amazing parents, no wonder you are such an amazing person.

egbert family said...

I hope your mom is doing okay now. Wow she is pretty amazing to go through it that long. You are such a good daughter to spend that time with her. Your such a sweet heart. I hope she recovers good.

Anonymous said...

I love to be able to spend quality time with my mom, I'm sure it meant alot to her to have you there. I hope she has a speedy recovery! Your family looks like such great people!

Amberlee said...

Mom's are the best. Mine doesn't like taking pictures either. But I hope she recovers fast. Love ya