»

Friday, May 1, 2009

Favorite Friday: "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing"

Saved in my drafts for a few weeks now, I've had this YouTube clip of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing Come Thou Fount . So, I decided to post it today. This is the first post I am doing in for a little something I will call my "Friday Favorite" . While it won't happen every Friday, I wish to share with you some favorite things of mine from time to time. This is my Favorite song. It also happens to be a hymn. But, I will reserve another post for my Favorite hymn, and call this one my favorite song of all time.

No song has ever moved me in the way this one does. I LOVE the words and the Melody. I am brought to tears EVERY time I hear it. Something about it is so beautiful to me. I think music in heaven will sound like this! Click HERE to read the words.

Here is a little background on the song. The words were written in 1757 by a Methodist pastor named Robert Robinson. He was 22 when he penned the words. The tune is an American folk tune called Nettleton written in 1813. Named after its composer Asahel Nettleton. I love Mack Wilberg's arrangement as sung by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Please take a listen :) For me, chills every time.

So, what's the meaning of this song you may say. Here is one persons interpretation as found on Yahoo answers:

A fount is a source. The first verse is addressed to God, who is acknowledged as the source of "every blessing" and mercy. The author is asking God to "tune", "teach" and otherwise help him adequately express his gratitude for this. The "flaming tongues" are likely those of angels (or even the "pentecostal" Holy Spirit) who can naturally do a much better job of this. The "mount" (rhymes with "fount") on which his eyes are fixed is Calvary (Latin for of the Aramaic "Golgotha" or "skull place"), where Jesus was crucified. That event is regarded as the ultimate divine act of compassion.Verse two refers to an "ebenezer" or monument (literally, "rock of help") being raised to remind the singer of all the ways God has helped him, by keeping him safe in the past, and on his way to heaven. Jesus is characterized as seeking him out and protecting him, presumably from hell, again by the Crucifixion.The third verse emphasizes the natural obligation or bond imposed by accepting the unmerited favor ("grace") of God. The singer allegorizes it into actual shackles and chains, urging God to restrain the singer from the potential temptation to sin and "wander" away from God. The intended restraints are spiritual of course, only intended to protect the singer from harm and preserve his desire (heart) for eternity in the "courts" of heaven. Quite a lot to think about while singing it.

"Here I raise mine Ebenezer"...Huh?

Ok, so while listening to this song, (many, many times) I have often wondered what is an Ebenezer? What does that mean? I was thinking it was a horrible little scrouge of a man or something! Lol. Although the explanation above explains it a little, here is another article addressing the question of "Ebenezer" that I really liked. Click HERE. And, one more...click

Jars of Clay has a version of this song...


So, tell me what you think of my favorite song? What's YOUR favorite song?


7 comments:

Darcie said...

Very beautiful. You know I love the MoTab. They give me chills.

RaCeNMoMmY said...

thanks for the uplifting music. I love that song too! as far as my fav song, gosh i have so many. i LOVE music. when i'm having a bad day or need motivation to get moving for the day, all i need to get going or to feel better is a good uplifting song or something that makes you want to dance! my kids know it's "dance party" time when i turn the sterio on, baby girl even gets "down"!

Carrie said...

it so hard to narrow your favorite song down! it always depends on your mood and what you need that day. i love all kinds of music too. oldies, classic rock, new rock, alternative, country, etc.....etc.....

Allen n Teresa said...

I love this song! I never knew the name of it where I heard it but I often humm the tune. I'm so glad you shared this with me. I don't care for the Mo Tab a whole lot...kind of strange I know. So the Jars of Clay version I like a lot more. I REALLY appreciate you sharing this and enlightening me. :) Especially all the research that's amazing!

Jamie said...

Your posts are always so inspiring and informative. I love it. Keep them coming.

Jamie said...

Oh, and my favorite song...I have lots. But one of my all time favorites is "Lord I would Follow Thee." I love the message and it reminds me of my dad. (It has always been his favorite.)

steph said...

I love to read your blog it is uplifting. I have never heard this song but I love it. It is hard for me to narrow it down to one but the two that stick out in my mind is "Because I Have Been Given Much" and "Lord I will Follow Thee"