Kennecott Visitors Center
August 4th 2009--Oh so behind on blogging! I really have sucked it up these past several months. I even get ideas that POP into my head about things to blog about. But that's where they get stuck, jumbled up in my head! Mostly just my random thoughts about things, so maybe the halt to the blogging is for the better. Lol! One day maybe I can get on top of it. I am not so sure though. I have a new calling at church. I am the Relief Society Secretary, so my blog is probably going to continue to suffer. ;) Maybe I can get a balance in life going again...we will see.

It has been since I was a kid that I have gone to the Kennecott Mine Visitors center. I was probably only like seven the first time it seems. Kinda funny since Preston has worked for Kennecott for nearly a decade and we are just now going to the visitors center. We had been saying for YEARS that we were going to go. I am happy we waited till we had kids to enjoy it with though.

So anyone else miss those good ol days when you could climb INSIDE the tire with your whole family!? My mom has a really cute picture of all us kids in there. Would have been cute to post here...maybe one day!

It is SO amazing to see these big trucks! Dylan kept saying, "Big-O trucks Dad!" I think he was a little frustrated that he could not go right up to one and climb inside. :) I once saw just the dump part of one being hauled across Bangerter Highway (A new one? Or getting a repair, I am not sure?) It needed a MAJOR police escort since it took up literally all three lanes plus the shoulder of the road. It was MASSIVE!

Seeing those "Big-O" trucks look so tiny working in the mine kinda puts into perspective how HUGE the pit is. It's absolutely no wonder it is one of two things that can be seen from space.

My handsome boys.

Inside the visitors center they have a movie you can watch that really explains the process of extracting the copper, it's kinda interesting. they have many other cool exhibits as well. this is one that is a replica of the Smelter. That's where Preston works. In case you ever wonder, yes, he has been to the top of the tall smoke stack. I don't think you would catch me dead up there. Too sceeeery! I believe he mainly works in building #3 and #4.
I did a post on Preston's job about a year ago. Click
here to learn more about Kennecott. He has changed positions since that post. I was going to put his new job title here, but I can't remember it. I will have to update this post later. When it's not one in the morning. Lol.
2 comments:
Allen and I took our foster kids not the summer just past but last summer. I thought it was really neat. Like you it had been since I was a kid that I had been there. It was the first time Allen had ever been there. He loved it. I would love to see that picture that your mom has.
I feel so left out...I didn't even know there was a visitors center there! I so need to take my boys, they will love it!
Post a Comment