»

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Skeptical of every stick...

I am trying to get back to blogging! :) Everyday for who knows how long I have been saying, "today I'll do a post". I do most my blogging late at night. I have still been up late...I'm a bit of a night owl, but have not spent the time blogging. ANYWAY, I have MUCH catch up to do, but for now, I will blog about today...or should I say yesterday since it's approaching 2 in the morning!
You're as bad as a pirate, But you're as brave as a knight. You steal your own food And you sleep at night. You're as aerodynamic As an arrow could be, Soaring high above Any old tree. The U.S. says You're number one, So being a bird Must be pretty fun. ~elementary age student
Today the kids and me went to the Tracy Aviary in Liberty Park. I must admit to you that I don't often take the kids on little adventures by myself. They are the MOST active kids you'll ever meet. I have been told just that by other mothers! :) I love these rascals! They keep me hoppin but I would not want it any other way. Sad to say, they did not get out of the stroller much. They always run off in two different directions. Good thing they don't mind a good stroller ride.

So, for your bird enjoyment (whatever that means...Lol!) Here are some pics I took today.
Just shortly after we arrived at the aviary I had a little encounter. I was NOT happy about it to say the least! I was strolling along, figuring out what way to go first and then, BAM! There is was! the UGLIEST little SNAKE you ever saw!

No, no, I did not get a picture, I was FROZEN! I had time to though; he was moving so very slowly and would not get away from me fast enough! The kids didn't say anything...so I was thinking, Oh GOOD! I have shielded their eyes from the devil himself! You may think me to be dramatic? Well, yes, I will admit my HATE and DISDAIN for snakes is nothing less than dramatic.

I was seriously sick to my stomach and thought I would throw up at one point. I was shaken to the core. Something flipped up and hit my ankle a few minutes later ( a little pebble or an insect) I must have went white or maybe green as I looked down to check that the bugger (nicest word I could think of) did not follow me. I was avoiding the area where he was. I am thinking a bird at some point let his dinner get away! And now the dinner lives at the aviary. There to haunt and tease me.

I was SKEPTICAL of every stick, vine, hose, etc. I was just sure the place was crawling with snakes and they seemed to be everywhere my eyes landed. EEEK! I think I need counseling. Lol!

So, there was a point at which I had to cross that same sidewalk again. Just then Dylan yelled out, "Mom! I wanna see the snake!" Just typing that now makes me feel creepy crawly. Haha. I guess he DID see it.
I know I have posted multiple pictures of my kids in their car seats...sleeping in their car seats...etc. But to me, there is something awesome about it. (This is them at the end of our birdy snake-ish adventure.) The pain of an empty back seat is still fresh to my memory. In some ways, I hope I never forget the "pain" of my empty back seat. I think it helps me to appreciate my little miracles all the more. There are times I look in the rear view mirror with tear filled eyes. Even though they are almost three I have to pinch myself now and again. I have memories of looking at my empty backseat and wondering to myself, "When?"
I love you Dylan and Maddie!!! xoxoxo


8 comments:

Darcie said...

The aviary looks so fun. Birds are so cool. I have been reading in the trib how they have been redoing the aviary. I love Liberty Park, I used to rollerblade around that park for exercise. The playgoround is pretty cool too.
Sorry about the snake, I hope you didn't have any nightmares.

Jamie Eskelson said...

I enjoyed reading your comments about the backseat in your car. It makes me appreciate mine as well. We are indeed so lucky. You always have such a great perspective on things. I love to read your blog. Good for you to brave an activity alone. Once when Anna was a newborn and Mark was 2 we went to Wheeler Farm just the three of us and a really RUDE goose totally chased us around and bit my knees. I am not kidding! All for good memories!

RaCeNMoMmY said...

I also loved what you wrote about your backseat. I'm going to have my sister read that. She's been struggling as well. I think they've been trying for over 4 years now. She's the one that came to enrichment with me. Anyway, I've been wanting to take my kids there. I've got some memories of going there for a field trip & with my family. But I can't remember much of it. I think my kids would love it. I can't say I'm as brave as you though to go alone. way to go girl.

Allen n Teresa said...

So brave to take them all by yourself!!! Almost to your snakish doom! Eek! Glad the little bugger didn't get you or your little miracles! I know what you mean about the empty backseat feeling. So glad your dream has been fulfilled and your backseat has occupants! :):):) Such cute kids!

Matt N Camie Family said...

EEWWWWW snakes!!! I hate them with a passion!! The birds however.. TOTALLY AWESOME! You are a great mom!! What lucky little kids you have! :)

Jess and Tim Newcomb said...

oh that makes me cringe about that snake!! I too dispise them!! What cute kids you have though! I love them to pieces!! I love your thoughts on the Back seat! its beautiful.

Christina said...

I loathe snakes and Steve is terrified of snakes . . .so I totally understand your feelings! I love the pictures, though, and the kids are just beautiful! Someday you and Preston should bring them to Ogden to Dinosaur Park - its a fun place. Oh, and the Treehouse Museum is also a fun place- its all hands on and the kids can safely run around :o)

Jessica said...

This is Christy Morton's sister, she had me read what you wrote about your backseat. That brought tears to my eyes. That is exactly what I am feeling right now. I would love for us to get together sometime and talk, if you don't mind.