»

Sunday, July 12, 2009

RoAd TrIp

once again, sorry so long...gonna try for some shorter posts in the near future... ;)

So, I am a bit behind in blogging. I am going to try and do a little catch up. The last weekend in June my side of the family took a little road trip. We get together every year for some kind of little get away, whether it be camping or whatever. This year we headed to Wyoming and Idaho. Here are Dylan and Maddie(pic below) sleeping just minutes after leaving. They are both pretty good little car riders. Even when Dylan was not asleep I did not hear a peep out of him. He sometimes asks to go for car rides, he loves it. Maddie was great too. She likes to talk and sing, and talk, and talk, and TALK!! Bless her little heart, we have to sometimes tell her we need a little break from her voice. :) She often says things like "Dylan!! Wake Up!" or, "It's beautiful" which is so precious really. Actually that was the first time she said that word, and I am sooo amazed how these little ones learn new words, (and use them correctly) everyday. The drive to Aunt Amy's house in Wyoming is beautiful. She lives in Star Valley, it's a great place.

Here is our handsome driver.
We stopped at a park in Randolph on the way. We got eaten alive by mosquitoes. I had to take a picture though, because you just don't see merry-go-rounds anymore. I fell off one at school in 2nd grade. I had to get stitches in my knee. I still have a "pretty" scar from it. A few kids got hurt on em and they took them out very shortly after that. I loved the merry-go-round...even after getting hurt. The log house in the background is Wilford Woodruff's house. (4th president of the LDS church)

Once we got to Aunt Amy's, we had a BBQ, jumped on the tramp, played catch phrase and talked, and had a cookie contest....YUM CoOkIeS! GREAT food and fun!



The view from Amy's back deck. Beautiful. Those are two bucks grazing.
We all stayed the night at Amy's. It was a full house with the bunch of us! 28 people in all! I did not sleep a wink. The kids slept great and did not hardly even move. I kept putting my hand on Maddie's tummy to make sure she was breathing. I never saw her sleep so still. I just have a hard time sleeping anywhere but home I guess. Literally, not a wink. O well :)

In the morning, we got up and headed to Idaho Falls. There is a museum there that happened to have a traveling exhibit of Titanic artifacts. I love history so I was excited to go. It was really cool. They give you a "boarding pass" upon arrival. On the back is the name of a passenger and all the known information about them. At the end you get to see if "you" live or die. I was a RICH 19 year old pregnant girl returning from my honeymoon through Egypt, Spain, Italy and France. I was in first class and paid about $4300 for my ticket. Equivalent to $90,000 today!! Wow!! I had over $10,000 worth in jewelry aboard with me. I lived. Preston's ticket was that of a third class person who also lived. There were 700 survivors of the Titanic and 1500 who did not. The above picture is of Maddie in the children's discovery room at the museum. She was having a fun time in there. You are not really allowed to take pictures in there, so that was all I got as far as the museum goes.

TAUTPHAUS ZOO.

After the Titanic we went to the zoo. It was a VERY FUN little zoo! I loved it actually. The animals seemed happy and active. As happy as a caged creature can be I guess. They seemed well cared for. No disrespect, but some of the animals at Hogle seem a little skinny and matted.


Big fluffy lions.

There are three tigers there. They put on a good show for my brother and his family. They got to hear them roar. Wait...do tigers roar? Well, meow I guess. That would have been cool to see/hear!

Dyaln and Maddie Loved the monkeys!! Maddie has been swinging like a monkey on her swing set since she saw them. And making monkey sounds.
I love that girl.

I never saw or heard of a sloth bear before. They were pretty cool.
Here they are below kissing! :)
Below is a Baby camel. She was abandoned by her mom. :( So the zoo keepers have been bottle feeding her. We actually got to see them feeding her. Funny story: There was a crowd gathering to watch. Preston decided it would be funny to chase me with a toy snake. I screamed and FREAKED out. Everyone was laughing, and some people were saying, "I sure hope someone got that on camera to put on YouTube." Ya, a perfect stranger said that. Thanks a lot. I really musta looked like an idiot. People were yelling, "It's fake! It's fake!" But I did not care, I think I hate pretend ones almost as much as the real ones. I had snake nightmares after that. Thanks babe. The weather was perfect and the zoo was actually very shady. I think my favorite was the monkeys along with the kids. Preston liked the 500 pound turtles. Yikes! But they were pretty impressive, and massive!
At the hotel they had a 24 hour swimming pool. The kids were like little fish and really coulda swam all night. I was pretty partial to the hot tub while Preston took em swimming in the big pool.
The next morning we went on a little trail and got a good look at the falls with the Temple in the background. It was a pretty sight. We were all really tired by then, so we headed for home.
It was an awesome time spent with family and just the little get away I needed. Cheers till next years adventure!



6 comments:

Allen n Teresa said...

Sooo jealous!!! Sounds like you had a ton of fun!! Sorry you didn't sleep as good as your kids though :( Guess sleep is over rated though, huh? Lol

Carrie said...

ya, i've decided i'll sleep when i'm dead. Lol!

Jamie said...

Very cute pics Carrie. And I hear ya on the being behind on the blogging! Summertime is just too hard with all the fun things to do. Looks like your having a good one, and I love road trips too, such fun memories for everyone.

Shanna said...

CUTE! you are fine Ive seen worse on the blog slackin! klooks like fun!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you guys had a good little vacation. For not being gone very long you gys sure did alot of fun stuff in just a few short days. Your right about the Hoogle Zoo, the animals there are not very active at all. That zoo looked alot better!! Fun Memories :)

Christina said...

What a fun trip and whats funny is that we kinda took the same trip! Except for Wyoming. We went to Salmon, Idaho then came home through Idaho Falls. Betcha didn't know that Idaho Falls is my home town. I used to go to Tautphaus Zoo when I was a little girl and we always rode the Ferris Wheel and got snow cones. We lived two blocks north of the Temple. One of our favorite family trips before Steve and while James was at Scout Camp or on his mission, was the girls and I going to I.F., staying in the hotel with the all night pool, swimming, and walking the River Parkway trail. We love Idaho Falls. Looks like you had an awesome road trip!