»

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Adoption..where dreams really do come true



Adoption....Where dreams really do come true!
I wish I was good at expressing myself and my feelings about things...that's why I like quotes so much. I have searched many, many times for an adoption quote that could express my feelings about it. There are a few below that come close. I have a lot of deep emotion on the subject. It is something I feel more than I can put into words. My adoption journey is a long-ish one. And a hard-ish one too. I only say ish because I know that there are people who had to wait longer, and had even more heart break than I did. (not to mention all the time and "things" that had to take place to lead you to adoption in the first place...) But, it was all worth it! SO gloriously worth it! I would not for anything in the world change my journey. My journey brought me where I am today. This subject of adoption is a big and broad one for me, there is so much to say and tell. Maybe another time. Maybe when you have more time to read and I have more time to write ;). I just had to make this entry today. Adoption is a big part of our lives. It is how we came to be a family. I love our birth parent's with all my heart.

I know in my heart of hearts that Dylan and Maddy are adopted. But, they are just as much mine as any bio child of mine ever would be. I will never forget they are adopted, but at the same time, I forget they are adopted. I do not know if this could make sense to anyone else...But, forgetting and at the same time always remembering is a reality for me.

"We look at adoption as a very sacred exchange. It was not done lightly on either side. I would dedicate my life to this child."
~Jamie Lee Curtis
Adoptive mother

“I didn’t give you the gift of life, But in my heart I know.The love I feel is deep and real, As if it had been so. For us to have each other Is like a dream come true. No, I didn’t give you The gift of life, Life gave me the gift of you.”
~ Unknown

"Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother.”
~ Oprah Winfrey
“However motherhood comes to you it’s a miracle."
~ Valerie Harper

I always like to say, that our birth parents gave us the gift we could not give each other, and it is priceless.

2 comments:

Christina said...

Carrie, your words are heartfelt and make perfect sense. No one else could be mother and father to Dylan and Maddy - they are yours as surely as if you'd given birth to them. I found this little poem that I loved instantly:

Not flesh of my flesh
Nor bone of my bone,
But still miraculously
My own.
Never forget
For a single minute:
You didn't grow under my heart
But in it.

© Fleur Conkling Heyliger

We love you and Preston as if you were part of our family - 'cos you are part of our extended family. We are so thrilled that Dylan and Maddy get you for parents! We love Dylan (from afar but always) and love to watch him grow through your photos and stories. We are so grateful you share him with us. Always listen to your heart as you've expressed it - he is yours for he grew in your heart long before you held him in your arms.

Love,
Christina

LacyAsher#1 said...

Carrie, Dylan and Maddy couldn't have went to two more deserving and awesome people. I know that you and Preston are the best thing that could have happened to both of them. Me and Dusty are actually thinking about adopting a baby because we want one more, but the doctor said that because I have to have C-sections the more babies I have, the more risk it will be. But seeing you with both of them on Saturday just verified, to me, that adoption is TOTALLY AWESOME!! To give a child a good and loving home is one of the best things anyone can do.