»

Thursday, June 23, 2011


Grandma

Margaret Joan Young Shepherd


Born November 29, 1934
Returned home to a loving Heavenly Father on June 20, 2011

Viewing: Thurs. June 23, 6-8 PM and Fri. 9:30-10:30 at LDS
Service: Fri. June 24, 2011 - 11:00 AM
Cemetery: Wallsburg Cemetery
   Margaret Joan Young Shepherd Our ever caring and loving, wife, mother of 8, grandmother of 29, great-grandma of 34, sister to 9, aunt to many, and friend to all, Margaret Joan Young Shepherd, passed away June 20, 2011 in her home town of Wallsburg, she so dearly loved. Born Nov. 29, 1934 in Neola, Utah to Joseph and Lula Mecham Young. She was a Loving and devoted wife for 60 years to Marvin Ray Shepherd. They were married Jan 19 1951. Joan was a member of the LDS church where she served in the Primary, Mutual, Sunday School, and Relief Society with a great Love for her Savior. Her Greatest Joy was children and she truly enjoyed the beauty of nature. Her kind, loving, giving, spirit was cherished by everyone who knew her. She is preceded in death by her son Boyd, parents, and two brothers Glen and Fred. Surviving are her husband,7 children, Michle (Sherri), David (Catherine), Arlene (Rick Newcomb), Dennis (Patty), Darwin (Tammy), Deon (Lucretia), Brian (Rowana); sisters Afton, Loa, Bonnie, and Ruby; brothers Marvin, Carl, and Gerold. Funeral services will be held Friday June 24, 2011 – 11:00 AM in the Wallsburg LDS Ward Chapel, 494 West Main Canyon Rd, Wallsburg, Utah. Family and friends may call Thursday night from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. at Olpin-Hoopes Funeral Home, 288 No Main, Heber, and on Friday from 9:30 – 10:30 a.m. prior to the services at the LDS Church. Internment will follow the services in the Wallsburg cemetery.

   My grandma was the kindest person you would ever meet. I can honestly say that I never saw her angry with anyone. She had a pure heart and a love for children that was unmatched. I tried to think of anything negative I ever heard from her...all I could come up with is that she told me a few times she didn't care for the color yellow. I remember planting potatoes along side her when I was four. I licked every single potato before it went into the ground. I thought it would help them grow. She didn't get after me and tell me it was gross the way I know I would. Instead she told me that these would be the best potatoes because I had taken the care to lick them all!! That's the kind of person she was, loving and kind to her very core.
    I will miss you grandma. I Love you and I will see you again. It warms my heart to think of you being reunited with your beloved son, Boyd you so longed to hold but were held off from doing so in this life. And to now be with your mother who I know you missed every day you spent separated from her after she passed. Keep watch over me, I could use it. ;) I will miss all your encouraging winks and smiles.
 xoxoxo
Lots and Lots of Love! ~♥ Carrie--you know, the one with the green eyes, just like yours!!!♥

I just spent some time looking for the picture of me and grandma planting potatoes...can never find anything just when I need it.  I'll continue to look though.  I have many memories of and with my grandma.  That one is my favorite.

4 comments:

Bethany said...

I’m so sorry about the lose of your grandmother. It is so hard to say goodbye. The one comfort is knowing you will see her again. I am sending you lots of love.

RaCeNMoMmY said...

She sounds like an amazing woman. loved the memories you shared of her. that's awesome you both have green eyes, you can see her eyes everyday thru yours;)

The Shepherd family said...

I so wish I could have gotten to know her better, by the time I came in the family her memory was on it's way out, however the first 2 years after I married into the family I was able to see a little bit of her and her personality, I am greatful that her pain has ended and that she is now free from her earthly bonds that kept her sweet spirit under wraps the past few years.

Allen n Teresa said...

Yup. *sniff sniff* That's grandma. :)