»

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Santa gets a bad rap.

Ok, so I may get some flack for this, but this is just one girls opinion. I truly think Santa does get a bad rap. As I was putting up my Christmas decorations this year it struck me how much Santa stuff I have. ( I have many religious things too, Nativity's and such) I was concerned that maybe my kids would get the wrong message and I hesitated for a minute as to weather to continue putting it all out. But then, I thought, Santa is a good man! :) I truly don't think it's Santa who takes the Christ out of Christmas. It's people. I have been taught the true meaning of Christmas all my life and love to dwell and ponder on it. But I think a little Santa is ok too, ya know? Let me explain: I have a thought, maybe if we tell Santa what we would like to give rather than get, this would help people lay off Santa a bit. It's not a bad idea. To me, Santa represents giving and love and joy. Maybe now that I am an adult, I can see this. Maybe it's just too hard a concept for kids to grasp. I think Santa loves the Savior just as I do.
Don't get me wrong, I am offended by anyone who wants to take Christ out of Christmas. When I went to the post office to buy my stamps for my Christmas cards, the man behind the counter made a point to call them Holiday stamps rather than Christmas stamps. What a ding dong!! There would be no "this time of the year" with out the birth of our Savior. I am all for taking the commercialization out of Christmas and getting back to the true spirit and meaning. Just don't blame Santa! (Remember when Santa used to just bring an orange?) Please take this with a light heart...it's just my randomness. :) I honestly do understand the concern with all the Santa hub bub, I am just saying once again, it's people who take away from the true meaning of Christmas, not Santa.
I have often thought of something from my childhood when it comes to the Santa dispute. There was a lady in my neighborhood who had a large wooden cut out on her front lawn with Santa kneeling at baby Jesus' manger. It had an impact on me and I can remember to this day the first time I saw it. I know, I know, you are thinking, "Santa is not part of the Christmas story!" But it just goes back to my thought that I really do think Santa knows and understands the true meaning of Christmas...at least my Santa does. ;) It's all up to us.
What kind of Santa comes to your house?

I would like to hear any of your ideas and traditions for celebrating Christmas that teaches children where the importance of Christmas really lies. Leave me a comment! :) We recently took our kids to Temple Square, I think things like that are good. I have other ideas as well, but would like to hear from you. :) Thanks and Merry CHRISTmas to you all! Love you!!

6 comments:

Heather said...

I really liked this blog Carrie. I think I needed to read it to realize that this year I have had so much going on and that My focus maybe should be a little more on Christ. About traditions...my boys and I started a new tradition last year that has been so fun for all of us. We choose someone to give a nativity scene to but instead of just giving it to them we leave one peice on their doorstep every night. The boys have a blast ringing the doorbell and running to the car! During the drive to the house we talk about the peice they are holding and what part that person played in the frist Christmas story. Last year we didn't tell them it was from us but this year we are since the person we are giving it to is my brother. We thought it would be fun to wrap the last peice and put it under my parents tree. So if you happen to be reading this Michelle just act surprised! ;)
So we have found a family tradition that falls on both the spiritual and just for fun categories!

Bethany said...

Carrie I love this post. I have never seen the picture of Santa with Christ, It is beautiful and I think I am going to try and get one for next year. This year I have been thinking a lot about how I can make it more about Christ and his birth and find the spiritual side of Christmas. When you have kids I think that is when you start to think, ok it’s my turn to mold this little person into a caring and spiritual person because if you don’t then who is? This year Joslyn understands that it is Jesus Birthday and that is why we have Christmas but I want to make sure she fills the sprit of Christ at Christmas time. Thanks for doing this post and I love your friends Idea, I think I’m going to still that one too. Have a Merry Christmas (that postal man is a ding dong)

RaCeNMoMmY said...

I actually was just thinking about this. I just read another blog; her post was about how she doesn't really talk about Santa with her kids. She doesn't have any Santa decos & doesn't make a big deal out of him coming. I think that's sad. I understand her thinking & she doesn't want the big guy to take the place of the Savior with her kids. Which you hope will never happen, I know it wont at my house & I know it wont at yours either. So I guess I just didn't understand her worry. As long as we continue to teach our kids about the Savior & his birth, life, & atonement. We wont have to worry. And so what if they believe in Santa too. It's just teaching them to have faith in something. Have you read the book "I believe in Santa"? It's a perfect book for this subject, it teaches the symbolism of Santa & the Savior. McKell told me about it. I got mine at seagull book. My kids love it & each time we read it, we always end up talking about the Savior & they have lots of questions. BTW, I'd be happy to make you a silver watch band, if you still want it. Either buy the beads & I will make it or I can pick some up. Or I can teach you how to make them. They are really simple.

Jamie said...

Good reminder and great post. Merry Christmas Carrie!

Allen n Teresa said...

Love the post. I hadn't ever really thought about it from that perspective. Hope you had a very merry Christmas today!

Carrie said...

I just re read this post...it's been a year later. What a ding dong I am. If I were writing this toady, it would come out really different. The message would be basicly the same. Just that Santa is a great part of Christmas and doesn't take away from the true meaning, just adds to it. It's up to us how the commercialization affects us and our children. oh ya, and all those annoying commericals they watch on TV to influence their young minds. Lol! A LOT of nick Jr. around here...and KBYU. No commericals!!